I was recently interviewed by CBS Local New York to give my best tips for decorating your first Manhattan apartment on a budget. I was so honored to be interviewed with Sean Juneja from Decor Aid. My tips were abridged, so I thought I’d expound upon them and add some pretty images here.
Be young at heart.
Land of Nod, RH Baby & Child, and PB Teen stock beautifully designed, sophisticated furnishings, lamps, mirrors, and more at lower price-points than their parent stores. Here are some of my favorite ageless pieces.
- Land of Nod kelly green campaign chest, $699
- Land of Nod walnut ellipse dresser, $899
- Land of Nod mixed media teal table lamp, $79
- PB Teen white lacquer & gold sawhorse desk, on sale $489
- RH Baby & Child giant pink landscape wall tapestry (how pretty would this be above your bed?), on sale $479
- RH Baby & Child solid washed velvet draperies in dusty lilac, on sale $94-119
A word of caution though: double-check the size if you are ordering furniture from these vendors.
This RH Baby & Child chesterfield would be hilariously small in your living room.
Add layers with plants.
Plants breathe life, color, and texture into sparse rooms. Emphasize your tall ceilings with trees. If you’re limited on space, try vertical or hanging planters. Air plants are low maintenance and can be kept in fun vessels.
The collected & layered living room of a People Magazine editor. Source.
Ruthie Sommers’ master bedroom is sparse, but a plant on her nightstand adds a pop of texture and color. Source.
This is my cat-proof terrarium. He eats ALL MY PLANTS 😥 so I came up with this solution.
Go beyond IKEA.
IKEA is great, but if you are looking for more unique finds, H&M Home, Zara Home, Cost Plus World Market, and Muji have great and well-priced furniture, decor, and textiles. Amazon’s Pinzon brand carries hotel bedding and towels. Finally, check out eBay sellers that liquidate good quality brands like The Company Store.
- H&M Home black & copper ceramic pot, $18
- H&M Home copper metal tray, $18
- H&M Home lilac velvet & linen pillow cover, $13
- Zara Home mirror with gold leaves, $70
- Zara Home gold high table, $90
- Zara Home acrylic bunching tables, $139
- World Market midnight blue velvet Kendall sofa, on sale $550
- World Market pastel Priya nesting tables, on sale $50
This concludes part 1 of my decorating tips. Stay tuned for part 2!